Today a visitor in the form of Rohan's new A3 4472 from the UK
The first hour was spent sorting out shorts between the wheels,brakes and siderods.
Then finding a stoneage controller to run it as I was afraid it had a coreless motor.
Then next was spent trying to persuade the rigid 4 wheel tender to go around 6' radius curves :>)
But at least he got to see it run. :>)
Well, after some time running trains inside I came to the conclusion that for O gauge the room really was very limiting and to be honest I have never been a fan of having trains loop around behind me. I much prefer the punter's view at an exhibition.
So after another dice with an O gauge shunting idea I reverted to a central loop idea.
Once again I could have gone to S scale but thoughts of having to scratchbuild in two scales didn't appeal at this moment so it had to be go find what HO was still lying about.
Here is the result with temporary scenic items scattered about.
It is, just a means of replicating inside, the train watching I do outdoors when the conditions are not suitable.
Much more can be found on my threads on Freerails.
The opportunity arose to finally have my indoor layout room again.
It started as HO (too small these days), would have been best in S but that would have entailed another scale to scratchbuild it all in.
So with 3' radius at our disposal and plenty of small engines and 4 wheelers in stock a shoehorn O gauge layout it shall be!
I didn't have enough Peco points in stockto do it but did have enough of my home made jobs so I have made the sidings out of code 100 once again to match those points. Recycled once again.
The railway got a new loco today.
4108 was started some years before Bergs Hobbies mooted theirs. I used information from an early issue of the magazine and Ron Preston's book 'green diesels'.
It is made of styrene and brass mesh with Slaters wheels and a Roxey gearbox. The sideframes are modified Col Shepherd.
Ted Freeman did the decals for me.
Last week we had an opportunity to enjoy good company and visiting stock for 3 days.
The new catenary had only just been installed on a trial basis and the 'smoke' was taken out of the locos under some stanchions that had slipped down lower than spec.
Here we see a 38 being trialled on the mail.
Electrically the layout performed well. I have not cleaned the track in a long time, just an occasional brush to remove leaves and twigs and a scrape to remove bird poo. I put a few drops of powdered graphite on both main lines and that was it... no issues. Of course nothing will be perfect for visitors and some loose ballast jammed a point and two microswitches occasionally failed to do their job due to the points moving about. Both issues a result of a poor selection of glue in some areas to hold the ballast. Some screws inserted in the right place stopped the wandering points.
Good weather meant we were able to run late into the evening.