Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chain drive

With what appears to be the world supply of POM chain drive components used for O gauge models having gone up the spout  I have been on the search for something to replace them.
I purchased some gears and chain from Technobots in the UK thanks to a suggestion by a member of  The Guild. While not up to the standard of the originals, beggars can't be.... well you know!

Here is the result of my ideas in this test bogie. Some deliberate and not so deliberate horrors introduced for the purposes of seeing how imperfection effects operation (I'm good at imperfection) . :>)
Two types of pickup being used... my usual wire method and flat brass strip ala some commercial offerings.




 
I have yet to add a tensioner for the chain.

Testing will commence when we have a layout to run it on.

1 comment:

  1. you can still get any type or size of ladder chain from these guys:

    http://www.halebros.com/ladder-chains.html

    ReplyDelete